The Maverick saltwater series is the latest line-up of fly rods from Sage. Utilising the Konnetic technology these replace the Motive series. These are specialist mid-level-priced rods that are superbly rolled at the Bainbridge Island factory and then constructed entirely in the USA. Of course, they carry the famous full Sage warranty.
The range consists of 7 rods from 6 to 12 weights, all at 9 feet, but with an additional 8’6” 14 weight.
I have a personal rod stiffness rating just based on feel, nothing else so it’s not a measurable thing; 100 is a rod that won’t bend. So a rod rated at 90 is a very stiff rod, anything in the mid to high 80s is also a pretty fast rod. From 80-85, we have a fast-medium action rod and 75-80 would be a medium-fast rod. The Maverick for me sits in the low 80s, maybe an 83, so it’s not a fast/fast rod, and nor is it a slouch, it’s a fast-medium rod and I like that a lot.
This is a rod that bends when you load it. My days of driving fast sticks are over. Fast rods in saltwater weights put too much strain on ageing tendons and muscles, and these facilities don’t age well. In other words, it bends very sweetly, I called it “buttery” and Justin Duggan said it was like Teflon. It’s very easy to cast and just a lovely rod to fish with. We bent it on a bunch of fish in mid-winter and thoroughly enjoyed using it. It has excellent line pick up capacity off the water and, like any fly rod, provided you bend it properly on a fish, it is brutally effective.
The rod was released just prior to “the plague” hitting the US, so for a time supplies were very difficult to get; , however, JM Gillies has a very direct supply pipeline to the Seattle-based factory and now local stocks are in good shape.
· Konnetic Technology
· Pacific Blue blank colour
· Charcoal primary thread wraps with Light Grey trim wraps
· Oversized Fuji ceramic stripper guides
· Oversized hard chromed snake guides and tip-top
· Corrosion resistant anodised aluminum reel seat in Matte Slate
· Integrated hidden hook keeper in reel seat
· Super grade full-wells cork handle with cork/EVA fighting butt
· Extended full-wells cork handle with cork/EVA fighting butt on 1486-4 model
· Black rod bag with Titanium logo and Blue model tag
· Matte Black powder-coated aluminum rod tube with Sage Medallion
· RRP $930
Available from all Sage dealers and selected retail outlet.
Below: “We bent it on a bunch of fish in mid-winter and thoroughly enjoyed using it.”